Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that we say にっぽん instead of にほん when we want to inject a little national pride into the word, but I've never had a good understanding of the difference in meaning/nuance/usage between やはり and やっぱり.

I would guess that there is some variation in some combination of politeness, formality, familiarity etc, but I haven't had enough reference experiences with it to pin down where it sits on that graph.

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

やっぱり「矢っ張り」 is a bit stronger in sense than やはり「矢張り」, but most of the time, it is a personal preference.

There is some more versions of やはり like

やっぱし、やっぺし、やっぴし、and also やっぱ is widely used.

share|improve this answer
Wasn't aware of the stronger sense. That would make sense why I don't hear やっぱり used to superiors. –  makdad Jun 2 '11 at 13:09

やはり is more formal (e.g. appropriate for superiors & business). People say やっぱり all the time, including in business.

Written scholarly works would most certainly use やはり. Shibuya gals would most certainly use やっぱり. There's a wide range in between.

share|improve this answer
+1 During very formal speeches, for instance at conferences, the speaker does not use やっぱり, always やはり. –  Nicolas Raoul Jun 3 '11 at 1:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.