Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

”正直友達が死んだらこんなにへこむなんておもってみなかった” 

I cant understand this sentence.

share|improve this question
What is the question? –  sawa Jan 4 '12 at 12:33
@sawa: The question is: “What question should I ask?” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 4 '12 at 13:36
I thought the qeustions was: What is the usage of なんて in this sentence? Which Chocolate had no problem answering. Why is it so difficult for you two? –  dotnetN00b Feb 26 '12 at 19:32
+1 for dotnetN00b's comment and the original question. The question is obvious. Please don't forget that we may be dealing with non-native speakers of both English and Japanese, or simply people who aren't linguistically agile enough to be able to formulate a question more complex than "I don't understand なんて in this sentence". And there's nothing wrong with that, if that is the intended question. –  Billy Sep 13 '12 at 23:43

1 Answer 1

Lol, yeah what is the question.

正直=honestly

友達が=my friend

死んだら=if...dies

こんなに=so much

へこむ=get depressed

なんておもってみなかった=Never did I imagine (that I would...)

P.S. Grammatically it should be '思って"も"みなかった'.

P.P.S Oops, you were just asking about 'なんて'?

share|improve this answer

Ok... so how is なんて being used in the sentence? What is its meaning? –  dotnetN00b Feb 25 '12 at 22:10
@dotnetN00b-san, This なんて can be replaced by と/とは/などとは/だろうとは, so the OP can be rephrased like 友達が死んだらこんなにへこむ'と/とは/などとは/だろうとは'思っていなかった. I think this と etc. is working as 'that' in 'I think that~~/I didn't imagine that~~'. なんて/などとは/だろうとは sounds like they carry a nuance of surprise. (And I think the は is added only when the sentence is negative.) –  Choko Feb 26 '12 at 17:37

Maybe this particular question should be moved to Meta, but is my question to you really that different than the OP's original question? I don't say this to be snarky or rude, but I honestly see no difference between our questions. –  dotnetN00b Feb 26 '12 at 19:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.