Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have trouble trying to find this specific grammar in text books.

I have a negative adjective in polite form:

寒くないです

I want to use the superpolite form:

寒くないございます

That seems right, but I have seen in a grammar book that when using other word, they replace the い with う, like this:

面白うございます

Is the first example correct? If not, what is the general rule to apply in this cases?

share|improve this question
(1) 寒くない is not in polite form. (2) 寒くないございます us ungrammatical. (3) Your third example is about ウ音便. Look into that. There is not difference between negative forms (which itself is an i-adjective) and other i-adjectives. –  sawa Jan 4 '12 at 12:29

Understood, but then one thing more: what kind of form is 寒くないです? Polite, neutral? –  Alberto Fernández Jan 4 '12 at 12:44
Isn't it obviously 寒うございません? –  Zhen Lin Jan 4 '12 at 16:42
Does the negative-ございます form even exists? –  Alberto Fernández Jan 4 '12 at 18:45
@AlbertoFEM 寒くないです is polite form (for less educated people or informal use). A better form is 寒くありません. –  sawa Jan 4 '12 at 19:28
show 4 more comments

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

This is a bit tricky.

I would first of all suggest you never use お寒うございます at all.

The key to understanding this is understanding what this form really is.

It is from classical Japanese. In modern Japanese it's usage is restricted to this set. This is primarily used as greeting between older people. There is no negative form in modern Japanese.

In classical Japanese the negative of 寒うござる would effectively have been 寒うござらん or 寒うごらざぬ. The う can be considered to have the same effect as く in modern Japanese so 寒うない may have also been used at some times.

Without reading a body of classical texts, it is impossible to be sure what was considered to be "correct" in any given period. However it is clear that there is no modern negative equivalent of this form. Use either a positive adjective that effectively negates it, such as [暑]{あつ}う or use ~くありません.

share|improve this answer
add comment

寒くないございます is ungrammatical. 寒くございません/寒くはございません is grammatically correct.

share|improve this answer

No, it really isn't. ござる follows it's own special rules. –  Ian Apr 17 '12 at 5:05
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.