Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

信じようと信じまいと Believe it or not

How is 信じる being conjugated here? I am unfamilar with the stem + まい pattern, if anyone could explain the ins and outs of that, or provide a more literal translation if that would make it easier to comprehend. Any relevant grammar terms in Japanese are appreciated. Thank you.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

~まい is the negative volitional form. Take a look at the ~まい construction on Tae Kim's Guide

In a nutshell:

• ~まい expresses negative intention.

• ~まい appends itself to the verb stem for 一段 verbs, and just after the verb for 五段 verbs.

一段: 信じる > 信じまい

五段: 行く > 行くまい

• You cannot append the polite ending ~ます after ~まい. But ~ますまい is possible.

• Not commonly used in spoken form.

Negative volition can also be expressed by ~のはやめよう (can be used in spoken Japanese):

• 行くのはやめよう (Let's not go)

• ~するのはやめよう (Let's not do ~)

share|improve this answer

tae kim's guide hasn't been working for me but idk if that's my computer. thanks . btw what is the more common from of the neg volitional? –  yadokari Dec 27 '11 at 6:32

@Flaw: Your usage rule is not quite correct. 〜まい is attached to 五段 verbs on the 終止形, e.g. 行くまい. See here. –  Zhen Lin Dec 27 '11 at 7:44

@ZhenLin noted. I will amend accordingly. –  Flaw Dec 27 '11 at 7:46
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.