Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a word イレーザー, which means 'eraser'. I suspect this comes from the English word eraser. But the "s" sound in eraser is not voiced in American English, and a closer approximation in kana will be イレーサー. How did it become voiced as イレーザー?

Edit: After fefe's answer, it turned out I was wrong in writing that "s" is not voiced in English. It turned out to be true for American English.

share|improve this question
It can be voiced according to thefreedictionary – fefe Dec 27 '11 at 2:27
According to some paper dictionary I have, it is a British/American difference. – fefe Dec 27 '11 at 3:16
up vote 2 down vote accepted

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, the 's' is voiced in British English, and unvoiced in American English.

So イレーザー may come from the British reading.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.