Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is a word イレーザー, which means 'eraser'. I suspect this comes from the English word eraser. But the "s" sound in eraser is not voiced in American English, and a closer approximation in kana will be イレーサー. How did it become voiced as イレーザー?

Edit: After fefe's answer, it turned out I was wrong in writing that "s" is not voiced in English. It turned out to be true for American English.

share|improve this question
It can be voiced according to thefreedictionary –  fefe Dec 27 '11 at 2:27
According to some paper dictionary I have, it is a British/American difference. –  fefe Dec 27 '11 at 3:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, the 's' is voiced in British English, and unvoiced in American English.

So イレーザー may come from the British reading.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.