Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this Bump of Chicken song, the line 笑えないかな is used a number of times.

For example:

全て受け止めて笑えないかな

If only I could just accept everything and smile.

誰かに優しく出来ないかな 全て受け止めて笑えないかな

If only I could be kind to someone. If only I could accept everything and laugh.

笑えないかな

If only I could laugh.

The translations are a combination of those provided online, my native speaker friends and mine. If I translate 笑えない literally I come up with "I can't laugh." With 笑えないかな, I get "Can't I laugh?" So how does "Can't I laugh?" become "If only I could laugh." I see the correlation in meaning but I am not 100% there in understanding it. I guess verbない + かな has this nuance of "If only.."

The more literal way of saying this phrase would be ”笑えたらいいのになぁ” "If only I could laugh." But how does this colloquial version work?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

makes a question, but it does not make a tag question as you thought. And in this case, it can be interpreted as a rhetorical question.

笑えない
'I can't laugh.'

笑えないか
'Can't I laugh?'  (Rhetorical question with the expectation: 'I can laugh.')
→ 'I expect/wish that I can laugh'.

The expectation that follows from the question is the opposite of how you translated. I don't know where your idea of translating it into a tag question came from.

share|improve this answer

thanks. I changed my error. Do you think "If only I could laugh," is a good translation? Also, do you mean to say "I wish that I could laugh," as opposed to "'I expect/wish that I can laugh'."? –  yadokari Dec 21 '11 at 23:52

@yadokari "If only I could laugh" is not a bad translation. What I meant is that your translation before the edit: "I can't laugh, can I?" expects "I can't laugh", whereas the expectation that follows from the correct translation is "I can laugh". Is "I expect or wish that I can laugh" too far away to you from "If only I could laugh"? If so, I cannot help further. –  user458 Dec 21 '11 at 23:57
I think you could have better treated the question. I think 笑えないか is not equivalent to 笑えないかな. The former asserts that one can laugh through use of a negative question, the latter seems to convey a higher degree of uncertainty because of ~かな. How that translates into English I'm not sure. –  Flaw Dec 22 '11 at 5:09

@Flaw You are right that changes the degree of the expectation, but it does not change the polarity. –  user458 Dec 22 '11 at 6:44
@yadokari They are roughly the same, but the former is softer. –  user458 Dec 22 '11 at 6:59

笑えないかな literally means "can't (I) laugh?" but it looks like it has a number of different meanings depending on context:

• "I wish to laugh" or "if only I could laugh"
  • "I think you'd laugh if..." or "I think you'd have a happy time if..."
  • "isn't that something you can't laugh at?" or "can you really laugh at that?"

In this context, it does seem to be a rhetorical question. A literal translation might be "can't I laugh?" here, though it clearly doesn't have the same meaning in English if it's translated that way:

全て受け止めて笑えないかな
Literally: "I wonder if I can't stop everything and laugh?"
Means: "I wish to stop everything and laugh."

あなたと楽しく笑えないかな
Literally: "I wonder if I can't laugh together with you joyfully?"
Means: "I wish to laugh together with you joyfully."

笑えないかな
Literally: "I wonder if I can't laugh?"
Means: "I wish to laugh."

I think these kind of rhetorical questions can't always be directly translated to English and that it might need to be taken from context:

• 笑えないかな
    "I wonder if I can't laugh" (with the implication that "I can laugh")
  • 彼がそんなことをするだろうか(=彼は絶対にしない)
    "I suppose he'd do that sort of thing?" (he would absolutely not do that)
  • そんなことがあり得ようか(=あるはずがない)
    "Is that sort of thing possible?" (that doesn't happen)

See also the Japanese Wikipedia page on rhetorical questions. I'm not sure there's going to be a simple answer to this question as rhetorical questions in Japanese seem very different to English.

thanks. any thoughts on why "I wonder if I can't laugh?" = "I wish to laugh." These sentences are not equal in meaning in english. –  yadokari Dec 24 '11 at 5:59

@yadokari I'm not sure you can translate it directly. I think the rhetorical question here emphasizes that "I am (of course) able to laugh" and from there takes the meaning of "I wish/desire to laugh" with added emphasis. –  cypher Dec 24 '11 at 7:34

Building off of sawa's answer my understanding is now this:

笑えない 'I am unable to laugh.'

笑えないか 'Am I unable to laugh?'  

The next logical thought would perhaps be, "I am unable to laugh, but if only I could laugh." I understand this line of thinking but it is still a bit of a jump in meaning for me. I guess the な at the end makes the sentence even more rhetorical, forcing the concluding thought. I don't understand exactly how the final meaning corresponds to the grammar, but I will remember this as one of the meanings of 笑えないかな.

笑えないかな can also be taken to mean something like "I don't think I can laugh". Whether this ambiguity is intentional by the lyricist, I do not know...

In any case, it seems like you're having trouble internalizing the "I wish I could ..." meaning of ~ないかな, so I'll give it a try.

Most of the analysis in the other answers focuses on just the question part, but I think the key to the understanding lies in な (or maybe the combination かな)

な has many nuances and usages, but in the combination かな, I would translate it as "I wonder if ...".

明日は雨かな I wonder if it will rain tomorrow

笑えるかな I wonder if I can laugh

笑えないかな I wonder if I can't (couldn't) laugh

Once we've got this far, the jump to "I wish I could laugh" might not be so painful.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.