Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was given this sentence:

ここが、きみの クラスだから。

The explanation I was given is that the から at the end is used when giving information. What is the だ used for? What are other examples of だから usage?

share|improve this question
is just a copula. Nothing special. What is special is the usage of から, and you should have asked about that. –  sawa Dec 20 '11 at 22:13

2 Answers 2

A から B means 'B because A', and here, the B part is omitted, expecting the addressee to reconstruct it. See my answer to a related question.

is the copula, and is here because the because-clause ends with a noun. Depending on the type of the predicate, there are different endings.

君がクラスに来たから。 [verb]
ここは寒いから。 [i-adjective]
ここは静かだから。 [na-adjective]
ここが君のクラスだから。 [noun]

share|improve this answer

「から」 used to indicate a cause or reason must follow a verb or adjective. 「だ」 is the copula 「である」, which binds the noun it follows with the causative particle「で」 and the existence/possession verb 「ある」 in order to turn the noun into a verb clause.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.