Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The verb 堪える has three different readings: こたえる, こらえる, and たえる, and as far as I can tell they all mean "to bear, to endure, to put up with", with slight variations. Is there a way to tell which reading is correct in any given instance? Is it nuanced or a regional variance?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Kanjigen only lists 堪{た}える and Kanjidic lists that reading first, so I'm guessing it would normally use that reading. Looking at the Goo thesaurus, こらえる seems to be often written with Hiragana.

こらえる also has the additional meanings of "refrain, repress, keep back". As fefe has noted, it's normally ~をこらえる and ~に堪{た}える as the former generally refers to holding back feelings from within whereas the latter generally refers to enduring pressure etc from outside. こらえる seems to take the meaning of "endure, stand" when written as ~はこらえられない and ~はこらえて et al.

It may be read as 堪{こた}える in some contexts, but I think that reading is usually only used in e.g. 踏{ふ}み堪{こた}える and 持{も}ち堪{こた}える.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Comparing the goo explanation for こらえる たえる and こたえる, we can see that:

堪{こら}える is usually used with を: 痛みを[堪]{こら}える
堪{た}える is usually used with に: 暑さに[堪]{た}える
堪{こた}える is often used to form compound words: 踏み[堪]{こた}える

And for , 堪{た}える is the only kun reading listed in 常用漢字, so you may see the other two be written in kana more.

share|improve this answer

I wish I could check two answers, or combine them, I +1'd this one :) –  silvermaple Dec 22 '11 at 1:29
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.