Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently tried to look up the kanji in the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, which uses the SKIP method to look up each kanji, and I couldn't find it. It seemed to me a relatively straightforward kanji look-up using the SKIP method: It is clearly divided side-to-side (making the first digit '1'), and the number of strokes for the left hand side is 5 and the number for the right hand side is 4 (giving it a SKIP number 1-5-4). I tried every trick I know to find it and eventually did...under the wrong classification. The '4' and '5' have been reversed so that it is 1-4-5.

It's hard for me to think that this dictionary could be wrong, but I've counted the strokes so many times I don't see where I could be mistaken. I've searched around so see if any else has had the same trouble, but I can't find anyone. Does anyone know why it's been placed where it has? Am I missing something?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by istrasci, Earthliŋ, Dono, cypher, Flaw Nov 3 '12 at 2:10

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hmm... jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%95%85 故 is listed as 1-5-4 in jisho, but jisho.org/kanji/details/%E8%83%A1 胡 is 1-4-5. –  jkerian Dec 14 '11 at 22:15
Would you find it surprising if a book with a couple thousand characters in it had one single error in it? –  Matti Virkkunen Dec 17 '11 at 2:36
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Well, this is the first time I've heard of SKIP. But according to this wiki article, I think it is a mistake.

古 has 5 strokes and 月 has 4, so the SKIP for 胡 should be 1-5-4.

The stroke order listed in the link given by jkerian in the comment can also confirm this.

share|improve this answer

That seems to be the consensus, I just wanted to ask around to see if I was missing something. Thanks Fefe :) –  silvermaple Dec 18 '11 at 15:25
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.