Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When writing in some formal Japanese CV (学歴/職歴), it is common to be asked to put each job/university/etc. on a single dated line, with a second line to indicate when one quit/graduated/dropped-out/etc. E.g:

平成20年 4月 1日  東京大学情報学部入学

平成24年 3月31日  同上卒業

平成24年 4月 1日  松下電器産業株式会社入社

etc.

University enrollment will be 入学/卒業, post-grad would be 進学/卒業, job would be 入社/退社...

My question is then:

What is a proper equivalent to indicate a research internship?

That is a non-paying, temporary research position in a public (government-run) lab facility that is not a university (国立研究所). In such a case, it seems that both 入社 and 入学 would not fit. 入所 sounds like it might be a possibility, but also may be a complete mistranslation (since the word also exists for completely different situations).

I would welcome any suggestions, (preferably) with pointers to approved examples or other authoritative sources...

share|improve this question
According to web search, it seems that entering a non-corporate lab with the name 研究所 is usually called 入所 in a CV. However, I may not write a non-paid research internship in either 学歴 or 職歴 if there is any other way to state it in the CV. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 6 '11 at 14:41

@TsuyoshiIto If some position fits neither 学歴 (academic carrier with degrees) nor 職歴 (paid job carrier), then it may be put under 経歴 (carrier). –  sawa Dec 6 '11 at 16:43

@TsuyoshiIto: thanks. My cursory Google search had not found anything conclusive. If you don't mind quoting some of the examples you found in an answer, I'll be happy to accept it. Regarding your point about 学歴/職歴: you are absolutely right, and there is actually a third section '研究歴' for that (I didn't want to go into too many irrelevant details in my question). –  Dave Dec 6 '11 at 16:45
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

To answer my own question (after receiving the answer from somewhere else at the time), the proper term would be: 滞在開始.

E.g.:

平成24年 3月01日 松下電器産業株式会社にインターンシッププログラムにより滞在開始

平成24年 3月31日 同上卒業

share|improve this answer

Is that true? 滞在 (staying) sounds quite different from internship. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Mar 13 '12 at 13:55

@TsuyoshiIto: this is what I was recommended by one of my advisors. Considering it is a stay (without pay), it does make sense to me. Note that the 'internship' part is also mentioned in the phrase. –  Dave Mar 13 '12 at 13:57

滞在する is usually used with a place, not with an organization, and I do not think that we usually say ○○株式会社に滞在する. So ○○株式会社にインターンシッププログラムにより滞在開始 sounds quite odd to me. But I am not very familiar with Japanese in business, and if that is really correct, I have no objection to it. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Mar 13 '12 at 14:03

@TsuyoshiIto: well, I can't guarantee it is correct (otherwise I wouldn't have been asking in the first place). I can only guarantee it is coming from a person who ought to know (having both research and business experience). That being said: he might be wrong and in that case, hopefully someone will come along with some new input at some point. –  Dave Mar 13 '12 at 16:08
add comment

平成20年4月1日 ・・・・インターンシップ( ・・・・研修) 開始

平成21年3月31日 同上 終了

share|improve this answer

That seems like it would work :) –  silvermaple Feb 12 '12 at 16:22
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.