Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have trouble understanding the concept of 野菜ソムリエ.

I have searched Wikipedia and others but I can't understand if it is the name of a media job, or the name of a restaurant job.

I feel it might be more of a cultural question actually, but I don't know yet as I don't understand the word itself.

share|improve this question
I do not know, but have you searched some webpages containing phrases “vegetable sommelier”? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 3 '11 at 14:28

Your link leads to another link to a page more specific to it: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… What do you mean by "a media job"? Probably that is not the case. –  user458 Dec 3 '11 at 18:54
I'm voting to close because this seems more about the question of "what is a sommelier" than anything specific about Japanese. –  istrasci Dec 4 '11 at 7:26

I asked a Japanese friend, she said it is a skill that some talents learn to run shows on TV or radio. fefe's link also talks about 有名芸能人 in the first paragraph. Apparently they made the term popular. But indeed it is not intrinsically linked to entertainment. Accepting fefe's answer, it seems to be indeed a qualification in the field of nutrition, kind of "certified fruits/vegetables nutritionist". –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 5 '11 at 2:21

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

With a search on the web, I found ja.wikipdia.org/wiki/...(also mentioned by sawa) , http://gfhis.com/towa.html , http://www.vege-fru.com/ , etc. From these pages, we can see the "野菜ソムリエ" is not a job, but a qualification. It is a qualification for people withe various knowledge of vegetables and fruits: classification, nutrition, cooking method, quality, etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.