Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have this question in my JLPT textbook:

男女{だんじょ}平等{びょうどう}といっても、女性{じょせい}___の差別{さべつ}はまだ残{のこ}っている。

A ゆえ B たる C なり D こそ

The book says the answer is A, which is weird to me because I thought ゆえ was kind of like "ergo", or "as a result from". If you say 女性{じょせい}ゆえ, it seems to me like one is saying that somehow the 差別{さべつ} is because of women.

So I must have ゆえ wrong. What exactly does it mean?

share|improve this question
This is a good one, thanks for asking it. –  jlptn1 Nov 29 '11 at 10:30
I came here to ask this same question about this same practice sentence! –  silvermaple Nov 11 '12 at 3:36
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted
+50

故{ゆえ} appears to mean many different things depending on the way it's used, but the main definition seems to be "reason".

• ゆえの: "by reason of (being)", "due to (being)" or "because of (being)".

Whether to add or omit "being" can only be determined by context:

女性ゆえの差別
    "discrimination by reason of being a woman."

有名人ゆえの苦労
    "hardships by reason of being a famous person."

熟練ゆえの効率の良さ
    "efficiency by reason of skill."

• X(が)ゆえに: "for the reason of X" or "because of X":

信念を貫くがゆえに拷問を受ける
    "be tortured for the reason of one's faith"

• (それ)ゆえに at the start of a sentence etc: "for that reason", "therefore" or "thus":

故に商品の質は、信頼そのものになる
    "for that reason, product quality is consumer confidence."

According to Daijisen, it can also mean "of splendid history" when written as 故ある人 and 故ある家 etc, "taste/atmosphere", "relation/affinity" and "break-down/accident".

share|improve this answer
add comment

In this sentence, 女性ゆえの差別 does not mean “discrimination (against someone) because of a woman,” but it means “discrimination (against someone) because of (that person) being a woman.” That is, it means the fact that some people discriminate against a person because the person is a woman.

add comment

I can find this in a dictionary :

3 〔…のために〕

それゆえに

for that reason

悪天候ゆえに旅行は延期された

Because of [On account of] the bad weather, the trip was postponed.

何ゆえにうそをついたのか

Why did you lie?

which explicitly used because of in the translation.

And I think try to find one word (or phrase) as an equivalent of a word (or phrase) in another language is just impossible. So maybe sometimes ゆえ means "as a result of", but that does not mean it is equivalent to it.

EDIT:

In "女性ゆえの差別", the "ゆえ" here is to show the reason why a person got discriminated (because of that she is a woman). The literal meaning has been given in Ito's answer. However, in English there not such a way to express discrimination, so the translation becomes "discrimination against women".

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.