な感じ was crossed out and replaced with という感じ in a sentence that I wrote that was similar to this one:

その文には「それは私にはもったいない」 な感じ という感じ があると思う。
I think that sentence has a feeling of "that's more than one deserves."

What's the difference between な感じ and という感じ when written after quotation marks?

~な is the corresponding attributive form (連体形) of the sentence ending (終止形) pattern [Noun/NounPhrase]だ. I think because you have these "「」" (which I do not know the names for), it has to be ~という since it's a quote.
    – Flaw
    Nov 27, 2011 at 3:42
  • Now I think this question is begging to be asked, "Doesn't wrapping text in quotations turn it into a noun phrase?". I have no confident answer, but I'm guessing "no".
    – Flaw
    Nov 27, 2011 at 3:51
  • @Flaw There are (at least) two usages for quotations marks. One is to cite fragments from another source and incorporate them into your sentence. In this use, quotation marks are syntactically invisible, and do not change the parts of speach of what is inside. In the second use, the quotation is used as complement/object of a verb like 言う, 考える, etc. In this usage, the quotation is similar to a noun.
    – user458
    Nov 27, 2011 at 4:17

1 Answer 1

is the attributive ending of a na-adjective or a noun. The modifier to the noun 感じ in your example ends with ない, which is an i-adjective, so it should not take .

As Flaw comments, 「~ない」感じ is generally possible, but that has two problems in this particular case. First, will not work as intended. You can use 自分 instead. Second, since the description in the modifier is is made from a non first-person's perspective, it is more natural to insert という. You can go with either:

その文には「自分にはもったいない」感じがあると思う。

• Is it possible for nothing to be used between 「~ない」 and 感じ? (I.e. 「~ない」感じ) Since い-adjectives can directly modify a noun. Does the use of 「」 have other rules? Perhaps you could expand on this in your answer.
    – Flaw
    Nov 27, 2011 at 3:55
  • @Flaw I thought someone is going to ask that. It is a good question. Indeed, "「~ない」感じ" is possible. I will expand that.
    – user458
    Nov 27, 2011 at 3:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .