Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As far as I understand it, 祝福{しゅくふく} means "bless". I came across it in this sentence, and it struck me as weird:

だれもが彼の成功をうらやむと同時に、心から祝福した。

My rough translation is, "At the same time that everyone was envious of his succes, they blessed him from their hearts."

I think I get the grammar and syntax, and I also get that people can be envious and grateful at the same time, or something like that.

It's just that to me (perhaps only to me), the word "blessed" has a lot of weight to it in terms of religious origins and conveys implications of ritual. I don't want to get too much into the English meaning of the word "bless", though.

My main point is that I wonder if "bless" is really the most accurate translation?

Perhaps it means more like "grateful"?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

In the example sentence, 祝福{しゅくふく}する means "congratulate." Although 祝福{しゅくふく} (する) is also used in religious contexts, that is not always the case.

祝福{しゅくふく}する can also mean “wish (someone) good luck / a happy life” as in 二人{ふたり}の前途{ぜんと}を祝福{しゅくふく}する.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.