Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Another sentence from my JLPT practise book, this time in a section explaining the use of ものを.

借金{しゃっきん}で困{こま}っていた友人{ゆうじん}を、助{たす}けようと思{おも}えば助{たす}けられたものを、見捨{みす}ててしまった。

I think this sentence is saying, "My friend who was having debt problems / if I had thought about helping I could have helped / but I forgot about it."

If I'm on the right track in the meaning, then I'm not sure what ものを is bringing to the party here.

Is this sentence equivalent:

借金{しゃっきん}で困{こま}っていた友人{ゆうじん}を、助{たす}けようと思{おも}えば助{たす}けられたけど、見捨{みす}ててしまった。

If so, what extra meaning does ものを have that would make one choose to use it over けど?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

~ものを (sense [1]-1 in Daijisen) is similar to ~けど, but using ~ものを signifies the unsatisfactory feeling of the speaker. In your example, I think that using ~ものを instead of ~けど expresses the regret of the speaker.

share|improve this answer

Just to be clear, if the sentence used けど instead, it would still be perfectly grammatical? I just want to be sure that strictly the only difference is the sense of disappointment. –  Dave M G Nov 25 '11 at 4:10

@DaveMG: It is grammatical. But けど is slightly informal. けれど or けれども has the formality corresponding to ものを, and in these cases, I think that the only difference is the sense of dissatisfaction or disappointment. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 25 '11 at 4:22

Thanks for clearing up the level of formality. –  Dave M G Nov 25 '11 at 4:25

Sorry, one more question... is ものを used in spoken Japanese, or is ot more confined to written Japanese? –  Dave M G Nov 25 '11 at 4:26
@DaveMG: It is used both in speech and in writing, but I think that it is a little too formal to use casually. Others may have different opinions. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 25 '11 at 4:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.