Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my JLPT practise book, there is a section demonstrating the difference between なぐる, たたく, 打{う}つ, and ぶつ. If I understand them, they are all variants of "hit", with subtle nuances to differentiate them.

I have this example explaining the use of ぶつ:

いたずらをした子供{こども}は、母親{ははおや}にお尻{しり}をぶたれた。

And then I have this question:

なまけ者{もの}の弟{おとうと}は人{ひと}から尻{しり}を_____ないと、なかなか仕事{しごと}をしない。

A ぶたれ  B たたかれ  C 打{う}たれ  D なぐられ

I chose A, which means I fell unto the usual JLPT trap where they deliberately mislead with similar contexts. D'oh!

Still, in any case, I can't see why B is a better answer. In fact, the subtleties of difference make me unsure why any of them are not appropriate.

What makes B the right answer, and the rest wrong?

share|improve this question
I don't think it's necessary to specify JLPT(N1) in your titles. In fact, it's potentially turning away viewers and additional responses from people who aren't at that level. –  istrasci Nov 21 '11 at 15:26

@istrasci: Okay, I can agree to that. –  Dave M G Nov 22 '11 at 3:25

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted
  • 尻をぶつ:

Means to spank someone as punishment for something which has been done (in the first case because of naughtiness.)

• 尻をたたく:

Means to give someone a good hiding without those connotations (in that case because of laziness.)

• 打つ:

Doesn't work because ぶつ is used for people and 打つ for inanimate things.

• 殴る:

Doesn't work because it's more for violently hitting/continuous beating of someone with a stick/fist etc.

なまけ者 means "lazy person" and なかなか仕事をしない means "the (younger brother) stays lazy" in this context I believe, so the sentence would translate to "unless the lazy younger brother is given a good hiding, he stays lazy."

share|improve this answer

Means to give someone a **good hiding**. That seems a bit awkward. Is this UK English for spanking? –  dotnetN00b Jul 22 '12 at 16:18

尻をたたく is an idiom, sort of like English "kick in the pants". Consider:

My lazy little brother never does any work until someone gives him a good kick in the pants.

You wouldn't interpret this as literal brutality, just forceful reminding/urging. Same goes for 尻をたたく, at least in this case, and you can tell because of context: it just seems really unlikely that modern-day training materials for a nice upper-middle-class test like JLPT(N1) would present stories of someone's brother getting literally beaten by unnamed third parties simply for being lazy.

I also think that when talking about someone else's butt in the context of literal butt-spanking (i.e. not using a set idiom like 尻をたたく) you would tend to use お尻, not just 尻.

share|improve this answer

Just wanted to mention that this was a very helpful answer. The only reason I marked @cypher's answer as the correct one instead was because the way he broke down the different meanings helped me more in the context of answering a JLPT question. –  Dave M G Nov 22 '11 at 16:38

Great answer Matt. Your answer had a lot of aspects which I just didn't see and made me realize mistakes in my own answer. –  cypher Nov 23 '11 at 0:18

Thanks for the explanation, @DaveMG (no hard feelings, of course!), and comment, cypher. Glad I was able to help out. –  Matt Nov 24 '11 at 0:31

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.