Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why is は used at the end of こんにちは? Is the last letter the particle は, or is there a different explanation?

I suppose you could equally ask "Why is こんにちは pronounced 'konnichiwa'?" - I guess gaikokujin tend to be more spoken-language-centric, whereas nihonjin tend to be more written-language-centric.

Which is correct: こんばんわ or こんばんは?-こんばんわ-or-こんばんは mentions konnichiwa, but the question is interpreted more as "When should I use こんばんわ and when should I use こんばんは?"

share|improve this question
“I guess gaikokujin tend to be more spoken-language-centric, whereas nihonjin tend to be more written-language-centric.” Where did you get that idea? Needless to say, Japanese children normally learn to speak Japanese before they can write. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 24 '11 at 17:32

1 Answer 1

up vote 13 down vote accepted

According to gogen-allguide, こんにちは originated from the 今日{こんにち}は ("today") in 今日{こんにち}はご機嫌{きげん}いかがですか? ("how are you today") and similar expressions.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.