Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does anybody have a clue what こまけー might mean? Below are some sentences for context and the phrase as it's used:

まじめでおカタい感じの女子大生は、やたらとわたしを目を敵にしてきた。わたしが何をやっても文句をつけてくる。「しょうゆの向きは、こうじゃなくてこう!」って こまけー んだよ!

share|improve this question
It could be a colloquial way of writing 「細{こま}かいよ!」 maybe? –  cypher Nov 17 '11 at 1:17

"Komakai" and "komake"... I didn't see that before, now I feel silly. Thank you so much! –  Kristine Nov 17 '11 at 1:21
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

In Edo-speak (江戸言葉) or rough speak in present Japanese, a sequence of a vowel followed by a high vowel is often contracted to one long vowel. こまけー's original form is [細]{こま}かい 'detailed'. In this case, it is claiming that the other person cares too much about subtle things.

There are other patterns as well:

ai → ee,   [高]{たか}い → たけえ
ei → ee,   [競]{けい}[馬]{ば} → けえば    (Standard pronounciation; written as けいば)
oi → ee,   [面]{おも}[白]{しろ}い → おもしれえ
ui → ii,    [悪]{わる}い → わりい
au → oo,   [買]{かう}た → こおた    (Kansai dialect; written as こうた)
eu → oo,   でせう → でしょお  (Standard pronounciation; written as でしょう)
ou → oo,   [泥]{どろ}[棒]{ぼう} → どろぼお  (Standard pronounciation; written as どろぼう)
iu → uu,   [言]{い}う → ゆう      (Standard pronounciation; written as いう)

All these follow the following phonological rule:

[α high][+ high, β back] → [α high, - low, β back]:

where

+---------------+--------+--------+
|               | - back | + back |
| + high, - low | i      | u      |
| - high, - low | e      | o      |
| - high, + low |        | a      |

Note: As far as I know, this rule was discovered by 窪薗晴夫.

share|improve this answer
Just to avoid possible confusion, “the person” is not the speaker, and こまけーんだよ means “You care too much.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 17 '11 at 2:23
@TsuyoshiIto Thanks. That is what I meant. You made it clear. –  sawa Nov 17 '11 at 2:56
You can't add table, tr, or td elements to this website as they aren't in the allowed tag list –  cypher Nov 17 '11 at 3:08
@sawa I stumbled across this site while looking for a workaround and used it to generate the table. Looks like it works well enough. –  Troyen Nov 17 '11 at 3:28
Thanks for laying out the specifics of the underlying rule here so clearly, sawa. (Also, hey, Kubosono is the guy who wrote アクセントの法則! Great book, that.) –  Matt Nov 18 '11 at 0:57
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.