Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to expose my young children to the sounds of Japanese at night as they go to sleep. Specifically, I'd like to play Japanese lullabies or other soothing music with vocals. Where do I find such music?

share|improve this question

For what it’s worth, “lullaby” is [子守歌]{こもりうた} (also written as 子守唄) in Japanese. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 16 '11 at 13:53

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I know a children's song, かえるのうた (The Frog's Song, The Frog Song) I'm not sure if you'd classify it as a lullaby, but it has a simple melody and can even be sung in a round (I think of it as the Japanese "Row, Row, Row your Boat")

Here's a link: Frog Song

Note: There seems to be a regional difference where the line "Gero gero gero gero" is replaced with "Kiki kiki kiki kiki".

Enjoy!

share|improve this answer
(1) I think that the title of this song is かえるの合唱, although I do not have an evidence better than that there are many webpages referring to it as かえるの合唱 (which is arguably a poor evidence…). (2) I would not count かえるの合唱 as a lullaby, but it is difficult to define a clear border. I imagine that some parents may sing it at night to put their children to sleep, and there is nothing wrong with it. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 10 '11 at 21:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.