Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The verb 触れる challenges my concept of what を does; to mark a direct object.

Consider these uses of 触れる:

(人)の頬に指を触れる (Touch a finger to someone's cheek)

(人)の頬に手を触れる (Touch someone's cheek with your hand)

Now, if transitivity of the verb were not taken into account, I would guess that it's the finger or hand that is being touched since they are marked by the direct object marker . But because I know that 触れる is intransitive, I understand that the object is marked by instead.

(Question) What is the role of when used in the above type of pattern? Should the particle be instead since / are the "means" by which the action was carried out?

share|improve this question
I don't fully understand what you are saying. The fact that it can take indicates that it is a transitive verb. And, note that the grammatical pattern allowed in Japanese is not always grammatical in English. In fact, I think the English translation for the first sentence is okay as word-to-word gloss, but is ungrammatical as a English sentence. –  sawa Nov 14 '11 at 3:52

@sawa when I look up 触れる in the dictionary, it's labelled as "vi" which stands for "verb, intransitive". –  Flaw Nov 14 '11 at 8:17

That is for the usage without the ...を phrase. If it only lists "vi", then that dictionary does not have the usage with ...を in mind. –  sawa Nov 14 '11 at 9:09
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

My daijirin lists both an intransitive and transitive form of the verb 触れる.

I suspect this is just a mismatch between the Japanese verb and it's closest English equivalent. The verb is something more like 'move-to-be-in-contact-with', so the direct object is the part of the body you're moving.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Just think that 触れる is "to shake, agitate, stir, displace" or something like that.

(人)の頬に手を触れる

I displace my hand to the chin of a person -> I touch the chin of a person.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.