Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

さっき、お弁当を買ってきた三十代の男性同僚が、入室したら「外雨が降っているぜ!早く弁当買っといた方がいいかも!」と勢い良く言った。

その「ぜ」の意味はなんだべ?

「行くぜ」ならなんとなく分かるんだが、今の文脈だとさっぱり迷ってしまうんだ…

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

語尾の「~ぜ」というのはどこの方言でどんな意味ですか(駄)」によると、
“降っているぞ”→“降っているぞよ”→“降っているぜ”
と変化した言葉とのことです。

しかし現代で「~ぜ」の意味するところは、
役割語としての方が大きいように思えます。

share|improve this answer
In the question, ぜ is not 役割語 because it was actually used in the real world, unless the speaker tried to act as someone else. So I am not sure how relevant this answer is to the question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 11 '11 at 5:17

Sorry, that's right. Is ぜ 男性語 in this case? –  Bladean Mericle Nov 11 '11 at 6:04

@TsuyoshiIto Does "役割語" mean something along the lines of "typical sentence ending pattern supposedly frequently used by a certain demographic and stereotyped as such so that when it's used in media it's supposed to make you think that the person speaking as such is belonging to that demographic"? I ask because I'm not too good at reading Japanese yet and not entirely sure what it means. So it'd be good if someone could countercheck my understanding. –  Flaw Nov 11 '11 at 11:22

@Flaw: 役割語 is a stereotypical way of speech of some group of people, and by “stereotypical” I mean that it is irrelevant whether those group of people actually use it. For example, if someone says わしは本を読んでおるんじゃ in a novel, the reader understands that the speaker is an old person. Many 役割語 are sentence-ending words (such as じゃ), but some are not (such as わし and ~しておる). Although 役割語 is an important technique in Japanese literature, it is not very relevant here because ぜ in the question is actually used in the real world. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 11 '11 at 14:36
I would count ぜ as 男性語 (a word which is primarily used by male speakers), although it is also used by female speakers. However, understanding that ぜ is a 男性語 does not explain much about the meaning of ぜ. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 11 '11 at 18:39
add comment

単に男らしさ、荒荒しさを表現しようとしているのと違いますのんか。その同僚の方は体育会系でっしゃろ。なぜ「行く」の場合は分かって「雨が降る」の場合はお分かりにならないのか分かりませんねん。意志の有無を問題にしてらっしゃるのですやろか。そげなことは気にせんでよかと思いますばい。

share|improve this answer

いや、体育会系では全くない方なんだけど… 男らしさを表現する助詞だって知っていた。それとも「さあ、行くぜ!」は「さあ、行こう!」に近いってニュアンスがあるんじゃないかと思ってるので、確実なことを言うと変‌​に思うんだ。 –  Axioplase Nov 11 '11 at 4:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.