全身から金持ち光線と金持ちを優先しろ光線をびんびん出していた。
From her whole body there radiated out a rich person beam and a "prioritise rich people!" beam.

I understand what the author is saying but is this good grammar?

For example the object of 優先する seems to be 金持ち光線と金持ち i.e. "prioritise rich people beams and rich people". What is going on with the と here?

Also, there seems to be something missing between 優先しろ and 光線. My instinct as a learner is to insert a という here. Would that be wrong?

1 Answer 1

Yes this sentence looks natural, although it's far from formal.

First, she's emitting two kinds of beams simultaneously, 金持ち光線 ("(I-am-a-)rich-person beam") and 金持ちを優先しろ光線 ("(you-must-)prioritize-rich-people beam"). The object of 優先しろ is only 金持ち just before it.

As you already know, the imperative form does not usually directly modify a noun as a relative clause. Saying 金持ちを優先しろという光線 ("a beam saying 'Prioritize a rich person!'") would make this sentence look more "formal", but it makes the sentence much less humorous at the same time. Formality is undesirable in a joking expression like this. If I'm not mistaken, "prioritise rich people!" beam is a slangy expression, too, and thus can convey a similar tone.

Other examples of nonstandard ways of modifying a noun include: 歩け歩け運動, 貸します詐欺, ほんまでっか!?TV. "歩くことを促進する運動" or "ほんまでっかと問いかけるTV" would sound far less attractive to me.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .