Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference between 「うまく」, 「上手に」 and 「よく」, all seemingly meaning "well" in English?

Someone said that I should use 「よく」 rather than 「うまく」 in the following sentence. Can anyone explain why?

この文の意味は うまく よく 分からなかった。

I'd really like to know the difference between the 3 words, or maybe just some examples of where one is more suitable than another if possible.

Edit: Doing some digging through many e-mails, it turns out it wasn't 「うまく」 vs 「上手に」 at all as in the original question, but I think the other person clearly preferred 「上手」 over 「うまい」:

~さんのクラフトは うまそう 上手

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

What's the difference between 「うまく」, 「上手に」 and 「よく」, all seemingly meaning "well" in English?

Quite roughly: 上手に means "skilfully." You don't skilfully understand a sentence, so that's why you don't say *この文の意味はうまく分からなかった.

うまく is quite informal in meaning "well" with a "skilfully" nuance. You use it for qualifying how you threw that bowling ball to do a strike, or how your sister sang at the karaoke.

よく is a formal or neutral way to say "well" as in "properly."

よく分かりましたか?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.