Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I often get text messages from people who use the twitter-derived slang 「なう」 to mean "now." As in 「電車なう」meaning "(I am on the) train now."

However, these mainly come from women, and one gay dude. Is that just a coincidence, or does using this term actually have some feminine/effeminate connotation, like appending わ for emphasis (e.g. 「疲れたわ〜」)?

share|improve this question

I have never heard that the Twitter slang “なう” has any feminine (or effeminate) connotations. I am not a Twitter user, and people who are using Twitter are better qualified to answer the question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 9 '11 at 3:09
@TsuyoshiIto - the usage is not limited to Twitter. OP is saying it may have originated in Twitter because of the character limit. Anyway, no, I don't believe it has effeminate connotations. Plenty of straight guys I know use it all the time. –  istrasci Nov 9 '11 at 3:59
@istrasci: not a twitter user either, but I must admit I'm confused how なう would help with character limit... :-| Any way you look at it, 今 or いま is same length or shorter. –  Dave Nov 9 '11 at 5:18
@istrasci: I see. I did not know that なう is used outside Twitter. (I do not live in Japan and I do not receive SMS messages in Japanese, which may explain my ignorance on this.) Anyway the main point of my previous comment stands: I am not very qualified to answer this question! :) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 9 '11 at 5:52
@Dave: Nor do I use Twitter (FB people use it just as much) and I share your confusion about the point of it. I personally think it's just a way they (whoever uses it) try to sound modern and maybe "international". I find it annoying, myself. –  istrasci Nov 9 '11 at 15:21

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

No. It does not have any feminine connotations.

share|improve this answer
OK, since you have a top-10% rep, the comments tend to agree, and you state it with such authority, I will consider this the answer to my question. Thanks. –  Mason Nov 9 '11 at 8:05
I thought it would be amusing to answer with just "No." However, it seems that SE has some kind of minimum character limit for answers. In any case, I'm not just being merely flippant. There really isn't any feminine connotation, so there isn't really too much need to expand. Hope that helps! :) –  Questioner Nov 9 '11 at 9:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.