Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have this sentence in one of my JLPT practise books:

電子{でんし}レンジは冷{さ}めた料理{りょうり}を温{あたた}めるのに重宝{ちょうほう}だ。

I thought のに meant something like "in spite of". So, to me, this sentence seems to be saying that a microwave oven is convenient (or a "precious treasure") in spite of the fact that it warms cold food.

... but, isn't that exactly what a microwave oven is supposed to do? Shouldn't the sentence be something more like:

電子{でんし}レンジは冷{さ}めた料理{りょうり}を温{あたた}めるので重宝{ちょうほう}だ。

Is this a typo, or is のに used in another way that make sense here?

share|improve this question
It's a bug with the bolding system - meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/q/120/162 - you can get around it by using <b></b> tags though. –  Troyen Nov 8 '11 at 7:25
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

のに can have several meanings, "despite" being the most common one. But it can also mean "in order to" (~のため)。Here are some examples (taken from here http://www.jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=noni-2):

パスポートは海外旅行に行くのに必要です。

A passport is necessary to travel abroad.

電子レンジは冷めた料理を温めるのに重宝だ。

A microwave is handy to heat up cold food.

share|improve this answer

Actually, the second translation might be better with "invaluable" instead of "handy" but I think it makes not much of a difference. Or does it? –  Matt N. Nov 8 '11 at 7:39
add comment

I suspect it's the nominalizer の, making the noun phrase "...温めるの". Then the 'directional/intention' particle に is appended, giving intention towards which the 電子レンジ can be considered 重宝.

This can be occasionally tricky to sort out from the "in spite of" usage, but it is an alternate parse to be aware of.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.