Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I only know the 2 meanings of it as follow:

1. Use when thinking - no meaning
  2. Use to agree with others - the meaning is like "yes, I think so"

What else and what situation can it be used?

If someone ask me "これはあなたの財布ですか?”, Can I answer 「そうですね」? Is it strange? or Is it better to answer without 「ね」?

share|improve this question
It is better without ね. With ね, it does not sound like an answer about your own thing. But I wonder why. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 7 '11 at 15:36
そうですね is an answer to きょうはいい天気ですね ("Today is nice, isn't it?"), and expresses agreeing with opinions/feelings of others. そうです is answer to これはあなたの財布ですか ("Is this your wallet?"). –  Amadan Nov 7 '11 at 20:16
add comment

2 Answers

そうですね can also be if you are thinking about the response or even if you are disagreeing with a statement.

最近円高って大変だと思わないですか
そうですね。大丈夫だと思いますよ。

It is used by a listener to acknowledge something you said, but not necessarily agree with it. Like, 'I get that you think that, but I completely disagree.'

share|improve this answer
add comment

In your example:

これはあなたの財布ですか

そうですね doesn't work.

The ね at the end gives a feeling of asking for a confirmation (As in yes, right?)

At the beginning of a sentence ね is used to get someone's attention or (if followed by an interrogation mark) to ask for confirmation.

Just use そうです instead.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.