Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I don't understand what the -化 suffix in the following sentence means for a word like カリスマ, or why fearing it can lead to early retirement. Can anyone shine some light?

52歳の若さではあったが、カリスマ化を恐れて早々に身を引き、...

share|improve this question
"Charisma" has some connotations of influencing/leading lots of people, so it might mean "I was 52 years young, but I was still concerned about going on the road to charismatification (and the responsibilities it would entail) and promptly retired..." (If "charismatification" isn't a word it should be BTW :P) –  user797 Nov 5 '11 at 10:47
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Let's examine 化 and some compound words it forms:

• 化(suffix) - action of making something

• 悪化する - worsen, deteriorate. Lit: to make worse
    Corresponding noun (without する) : deterioration

• 一体化する - unify, integrate. Lit: to make into one body
    Corresponding nouns: unification, integration

• 一般化する - generalise. Lit: to make general/ordinary
    Corresponding nouns: generalisation, popularisation

Now for カリスマ化する, the literal meaning would roughly be "to make charismatic", and its corresponding noun would be as glacier puts it "charismatification". Not a real word but it's supposed to mean "the process of being made charismatic".

For the translation of the whole excerpt I think glacier has done a pretty good job in the question comment.

share|improve this answer

Now this is the kind of flexibility that a hacker appreciates in a language! –  Karl Knechtel Nov 5 '11 at 17:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.