Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have read several definitions of だって but none of them seem to make sense when I see it at the beginning of a sentence and I read the context. I saw one example Japanese sentence and in the English translation だって wasn't translated into anything.

So what is だって when it's at the beginning of a sentence?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

だって (at the beginning of a sentence!) is always followed by:

• reason, pretext (because, ...etc.)
  • opposition (but, ...etc.)

So it's not only 'but' or 'like I said'.

It's context dependent and it CAN be translated as because.

(Context is an emo-schoolgirl-drama.)

山崎くん:スマイルぐらいしてよ。なんでオレともう喋らないの?

At least give me a smile. Why don't you talk to me anymore?

リカちゃん:だって、「りかちゃんが好きじゃない」って聞いちゃった

Because I heard you don't like me.

share|improve this answer

Well, since I have no examples to go off of, I'll guess at which type of scenario you're thinking of. It can mean like "But" or "Well (then)" in a kind of defensive sort of way. Usually giving a reason for some action. Like なぜかというと. Ex:

お皿{さら}のものはみんな食{た}べなさい → Eat everything on your plate.
だってお腹{なか}が一杯{いっぱい}なんだもん → But I'm full!

share|improve this answer
Can it mean "because?" –  language hacker Nov 4 '11 at 23:41
Perhaps, but the most common way I see だって translations go wrong is using "because" when it's not appropriate. だって is used to indicate that you're providing (or implying that you have) personal thoughts/reasons justifying your behaviour/statements. It implores the other person to agree with your logic. "Because" has much more of a sense of completely firm reasoning that doesn't admit discussion. When it seems that "because" applies, "I mean / after all" is probably more fitting. (I'd advise you to post some example sentences if you want more clarification.) –  Hyperworm Nov 5 '11 at 1:22
I was thinking of how だから gets used in anime. It often seems like an interjection, or like it would be better translated "Like I said" or something like that. –  Karl Knechtel Nov 5 '11 at 17:24
I've often heard だから beginning a sentence, meaning either "Like I said ..." or "So ...", but I really don't see how that can be compared to だって (other than that they're both prone to being mistranslated). –  Hyperworm Nov 6 '11 at 3:52
[お皿さらのものはみんな食たべなさい] This sentence is EXTREMELY suspicious :) –  龚元程 Nov 7 '11 at 14:16

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.