Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When composing sentences in Japanese, the verb tends to be last right? For example,

バナナを食べました。 --> I ate a banana

But recently I came across a sentence where the verb was at the beginning of the the sentence.

折れた淡い翼。

How is this possible? 「折れた」 means "broken; bended," would it translate as " broken fleeting wings"?

This is the first line in a song that I am trying to translate. The first verse is as follows:

折れた淡い翼

きみは少し青すぎる空につかれただけさ

もう誰かのためじゃなくて

自分のために笑っていいよ

I am not worried about the translation but rather why the verb is in the beginning of the sentence and why there is no need for 「を」.

Thank you!

share|improve this question

OT, but, a tip while you're here, if you're doing songs. Discard any preconceptions you might have of Japanese lyrics being nonsensical. Often they are, but it's awful when people butcher a meaningful song because they expect shallow/meaningless lyrics. This group (Aqua Timez)'s songs in particular, mostly always tell a cohesive story. Within each verse there are cohesive thoughts whose grammar spans multiple lines (e.g.: 時にこの世界は // 上を向いて // 歩くには少し眩しすぎるね, all one sentence). A line break is not a full stop or even a space. Always consider metaphor and the bigger picture. I hope this helps. :) –  Hyperworm Nov 5 '11 at 2:07
As you said, it's usually at the end. –  Axioplase Nov 5 '11 at 8:51

2 Answers 2

It happens in sentences where the verb acts kind of like an adjective. I mean, not exactly but here is an example:

In English you might say "The person I met yesterday" which turns into "昨日会った人" (きのうあったひと) in Japanese or "The banana I ate yesterday" => "昨日食べたバナナ"。I think this is called noun phrase in English.

The important thing about this is that it's one complete part of a sentence. So if you have "I want to meet X again" you can replace X with "the person I met yesterday":

"X また会いたい" => "昨日会った人にまた会いたい"

Hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
昨日会った人また会いたい is ungrammatical. If you want to say “I want to see the person I met yesterday again,” it is 昨日会った人にまた会いたい. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 4 '11 at 21:07

@TsuyoshiIto: Thanks for pointing it out! I corrected it. –  Matt N. Nov 4 '11 at 21:52

For one thing, it's not a complete sentence. It looks a lot like a song title.

折れた淡い翼だ would be a properly formed sentence, if a somewhat odd one in isolation.

One of the things you can do with plain-form sentences in Japanese is use them to modify nouns. In Japanese, there's a general rule that when X modifies noun Y, the ordering is "X, then Y".

A sentence ending in Xだ changes to modify noun Y with XのY (usually).

A verb or i-adjective simply uses its plain form directly before the noun Y.

In this case, both the adjective (淡い) and the past-tense verb (折れた) modify the same noun (翼).

share|improve this answer

You are correct. It is the first line in a song. –  Sydney Nov 4 '11 at 17:18

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.