Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does anyone know what "jukai" means? Does it exist in the Japanese language? Some said it means 'birth or emergence'. Some said it is not "jukai" but maybe "jetai" 'fertilization, conception (breeding)'.

share|improve this question
Please use a dictionary for the questions like this. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 1 '11 at 20:52

Thanks! Could you direct me to an online dictionary please. –  Mediterran81 Nov 1 '11 at 21:55
alc.co.jp (extensive, but doesn't accept romaji and has no pronunciation guides) tangorin.com and jisho.org (smaller, but friendlier to foreigners) –  Amadan Nov 1 '11 at 22:07
add comment

closed as not constructive by sawa, Axioplase, Flaw, Ken Li, Dave M G Nov 2 '11 at 6:45

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I only find 3 occurrences of じゅかい in my 大辞泉 (none of them dealing with birth):

• 受戒 → accepting/receiving Buddhist precepts
  • 授戒 → giving/conferring Buddhist precepts to followers
  • 樹海 → a "sea of trees"; "broad expanse of dense woodland"

Jetai is not a Japanese word.

share|improve this answer

Actually, you're right! the third meaning is the one I was looking for! Expense of dense wood land! Thanks a lot man! –  Mediterran81 Nov 1 '11 at 21:56
Oops, typo... "Expanse". –  istrasci Nov 1 '11 at 22:20
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.