Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I heard the expression [意]{い}[外]{がい}といい in a video. I know that 意外に expresses something you didn't expect:

意外においしいよ。
It's delicous! (and I didn't expect that)

Why did I hear 意外と instead of 意外に? Is that a specific dialect? Or, is it standard Japanese?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

“いがいといい” is “[意外]{いがい}と[良]{い}い” (unexpectedly good).

意外と is a less traditional synonym for 意外に (unexpectedly), the latter being the 連用形 (continuative form) of the na-adjective 意外だ.

share|improve this answer

Can I change 意外に to 意外と in all cases?   Example:   意外と簡単。   意外とも、昨日は天気予報があたった。   意外と知られていない? –  daniel tomio Oct 30 '11 at 22:58
@danieltomio: 意外にも cannot be replaced with 意外とも, and therefore the second example in your comment is incorrect. Otherwise I think that 意外に can be replaced with 意外と. The first and the third examples in your comment are correct. Note that because using 意外と for 意外に is a new usage, some people consider it incorrect. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 30 '11 at 23:52

is it a new usage? you mean it's like a expression? thanks tsuyoshi. ^^ –  daniel tomio Oct 31 '11 at 4:42

@danieltomio: “you mean it's like a expression?” I am not sure what you mean. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 3 '11 at 16:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.