Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Topic. I've heard/seen somewhere that 被【かぶ】る was "gairaigo-fied" (?) from the English word "cover" (similar to ダブる or デモる), and then presumably given ateji from 被【おお】う since the meanings overlap so much. I searched several dictionaries for some sort of verification but have found nothing so far. Is there any truth to this?

share|improve this question
“Is there any truth to this?” No. Someone with the access to 日本国語大辞典 can probably show a quote from around the year 1200 (which I can only guess from the excerpt at Yahoo!辞書). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 24 '11 at 19:34
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

As Tsuyoshi says, there is no truth to it. The earliest reference given in the [日]{に}[本]{ほん}[国]{こく}[語]{ご}[大]{だい}[辞]{じ}[典]{てん} is from the mid-13th century [観]{かん}[智]{じ}[院]{いん}[本]{ぼん} edition of the [類]{るい}[聚]{じゅ}[名]{みょう}[義]{ぎ}[抄]{しょう}:

盖 オホフ カフル

Even English barely had the word cover at that point.

Also, according to the same dictionary, かぶる is derived from かがふる, which is even older--It's in the Man'yōshū (9C):

[可]{か}[之]{し}[古]{こ}[伎]{き}[夜]{や} / [美]{み}[許]{こ}[等]{と} [加]{か}[我]{が}[布]{ふ}[理]{り} / ...

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the precise reference. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 25 '11 at 1:18

@Matt: Can you provide furigana for 観智院本名義抄, and maybe say what it is? I can't determine the correct reading just be looking at it. Nor does it come up right away in a Google search. –  Dave M G Oct 25 '11 at 1:43

@DaveMG There you go. –  Matt Oct 25 '11 at 1:48
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.