Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is from the anime Noir, Episode 1 starting at 23:13 at the school:

[The two characters A and B are leaving the country.]
A: 出国{しゅっこく}の手配{てはい}は済{す}ませた。
 'I've made the arrangements to leave the country.'
B: ありがとう。

My question is about the conjugation of 済ませた. I would have expected to hear: 済まして(い)た. I can't figure out what kind of conjugation that is. It looks like the potential form with iru, but I've never seen a past potential form. Plus, 'can finished' or 'can have finished' is much different than 'have finished'. So again, what kind of conjugation is 済ませた? How is it formed?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

It is simply the 〜た form of 済ませる, which basically means the same as 済ます.

Quoted from 大辞泉:

すま・せる【済ませる】
「済ます」に同じ。

And 大辞林:

すま・せる 【済ませる】
「すます(済)」に同じ。

share|improve this answer

I don't think my Japanese is good enough to actually understand what any of that is saying. –  dotnetN00b Oct 24 '11 at 3:50

Those quotes are simply the references that say that 済ませる and 済ます are exactly the same. I think "「済ます」に同じ" should be simple enough for beginner to understand. –  Lukman Oct 24 '11 at 6:01

Fair enough. X ni onaji is a simple :) But all that other stuff is distracting to a beginner. Or someone not familiar enough with Kanji. –  dotnetN00b Oct 24 '11 at 15:32

Fine. I've edited the quotes to your liking. –  Lukman Oct 24 '11 at 15:36
@dotnetN00b. You are right but 済ませる is also a root verb on its own. It's not uncommon to have a verb that looks the same as conjugated forms of other verbs. Examples: 任せる (root vs potential), 生まれる (root vs passive), 切れる (root v potential) etc. –  Lukman Oct 25 '11 at 23:26

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.