Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Taken from alc.co.jp:

家{いえ}の鍵{かぎ}が見{み}つからなくて、玄関{げんかん}のベルを鳴{な}らしたけど、君{きみ}、家{いえ}に居{い}なかってし、ここでずっと待{ま}ってたんだよ。

(I rang the doorbell because I couldn't find the house key, but you weren't home, so I was waiting for you all this time.)

I've been trying to form the bolded portion but I can't find a way to derive it.

These are the forms that I know, and none of them match the bolded portion above:

~ない

~なく

~ないで

~なくて

~なかった

I'm guessing that it comes from なく + あって(て-form of ある) + sound contraction. But I have no idea what it means and how it should be used.

(Question) What does ~なかって mean and how should it be used? Where does it come from?

share|improve this question
add comment

closed as off-topic by ssb, Szymon, Earthliŋ, senshin, snailboat Apr 15 at 22:43

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – ssb, Szymon, Earthliŋ, senshin, snailboat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is a typo of 居なかったし 'were not there, and'.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.