Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My friend sent me an email saying her mobile phone is having problems. Specifically, she said this:

携帯{けいたい}の電池{でんち}が電話{でんわ}すると5分{ふん}でなくあっちゃうようになった

I get the overall meaning, which is that when she makes a call, the battery runs out of power after only 5 minutes.

However I can't parse でなくあっちゃうようになった, specifically the あっちゃう part.

What is going on here, and how is it different from 携帯{けいたい}の電池{でんち}が電話{でんわ}すると5分{ふん}でなくなる?

(Please no overly technical linguistic terms. Thanks!)

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by ssb, Szymon, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat Apr 15 at 18:23

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – ssb, Szymon, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

sounds like the contracted form of ~てしまう for ~なくあって. But I'm not sure if "~なくあって" should exist. (There is ~なくて, ~なかった, but I'm not sure if there is a past+て-form. To my current knowledge it's not possible to have both past and て-form simultaneously.) –  Flaw Oct 19 '11 at 3:29
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

As Flaw comments, this is a typo of 5分でなくなっちゃう, which is a contracted form of 5分でなくなってしまう 'unfortunately, runs out in five minutes'.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.