Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The difference between が and を with the potential form of a verb. and Is it true that all nouns must be able to accept a が particle and a を particle? are noted as possible duplicates; however, I haven't seen an analogous structure. The examples I have seen use a verb on the right-hand side, rather than an adjectivial noun.

Please compare two sentences:

このかばんが好きです。

and

このかばんをすきです。

Both are correct, right? Is このかばん emphasized in the sooner sentence and すき emphasized in the latter sentences? Or are these sentences completely the same? Or is there something else going on?

Please, feel free to just explain the difference. Thank you.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

In this case, 好き is a na-adjective, and the situation is different from potential verbs, which optionally allow accusative case marker . In order to have a noun phrase marked as accusative case, there has to be a transitive verb. In the expression このかはんを好きです, there is no transitive verb that can assign accusative case, and so it is ungrammatical.

× このかばんを好きです
 このかばんが好きです

However, if the relavant part is embedded as a subordinate clause of a transive verb, then you can use . In the example below, 思う has the ability to assign accusative case, and since it does not have its own direct object, and hence has not used up this ability, it can assign accusative case to the object このかばん of the subordinate clause.

僕は[彼がこのかばんを好きだと]思う
 僕は[彼がこのかばんが好きだと]思う

share|improve this answer

Sawa, I can see that を indicates an accusative case, but が seems to do the same thing. Can you tell me what case the same sentence using が would indicate? –  Wolfpack'08 Oct 15 '11 at 5:51

@Wolfpack'08 is usually considered the nominative case (although there are also claims that it is sometimes a focus particle). Japanese is known to be able to have multiple nominative phrases in one clause, so having is not a problem. –  sawa Oct 15 '11 at 5:58

So を is 'I think I like this bag,' and が is 'This bag is what I like, I think.' –  Wolfpack'08 Oct 15 '11 at 6:05
Anyway, even if the translation is junk, great answer. –  Wolfpack'08 Oct 15 '11 at 6:06

@Wolfpack'08 You may take it that way. (But 'he likes this bag') –  sawa Oct 15 '11 at 6:07
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.