Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The ヶ in e.g. 一ヶ月 is a bit of an odd character - it looks a lot like a small version of the katakana ケ, but is it derived from that katakana originally? Or is it a normal kanji? Or is it something else entirely?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 18 down vote accepted

It has two main usages:

• As an abbreviation of the counter word 個/箇.
    • More often it has a further word after it and it's read か. In this case it's sometimes written as ヵ or even か so the reading is more obvious. Examples: 一ヶ月(いっかげつ) 二ヶ国語 三ヶ所
    • Sometimes it's used alone just like 個 is (and it's read こ too), perhaps as shorthand. I've rarely seen people do this, but then again I rarely see handwritten text, where shorthand would be handy. Example: 1ヶ(いっこ)
  • As something that roughly corresponds to the modern particle の in place names. In this case it's usually read が (especially in old Japanese the particle が has a close resemblance to the modern の). Examples: 西ヶ原(にしがはら) 鳩ヶ谷市

Place names will have some exceptions, as always, but I think these rules cover by far most cases.

share|improve this answer

I hate when a 地名 has this 'ga' in it, but the ヶ is not written with in the name. Same with 'no'. –  istrasci Jun 1 '11 at 22:06

+1. This is a way better answer than mine. –  Amanda S Jun 2 '11 at 0:01

I wonder ヶ in place names is derived from 之. [真]{ま}[神]{かみ}[之]{が}[原]{はら}[尓]{に}, [瞿麦]{なでしこ}[之]{が}[花]{はな} as in [万葉]{まんよう}[集]{しゅう}. –  jovanni Oct 19 '13 at 7:59

It results from one of the components in 竹 , which is in turn taken from the radical sitting on the top of 箇 (a generic counter for pieces).

Actually, it's a simplified version of any of the following: 箇・個・个

Note that the character is the simplified version of 個, and that the form 个 is very rare in Japanese. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 2 '11 at 1:30

Yes, but you can clearly see how ヶ is closer to 个 than the other ones. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen 个 in any written Japanese. –  istrasci Jun 2 '11 at 2:12

Me either, except in a dictionary. :) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 2 '11 at 2:49

@Tsuyoshi Ito: I assume by "the simplified version" that you mean Simplified Chinese and not a Japanese simplification better known as "shinjitai"? –  hippietrail Jun 3 '11 at 23:47
@hippietrail: Yes, I meant Simplified Chinese, not Shinjitai. Sorry for the unclear explanation. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 3 '11 at 23:49

From Wikipedia:

It is an abbreviation for the kanji 箇, which is used as a counter word. Although it resembles the katakana character ke (ケ), it is pronounced ka, ga or ko, not ke.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.