Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this question, it seems to me it was clearly established that , at the end of a sentence, is decidedly feminine. There was talk of a kansai-ben with slightly different implications, but still within a range of femininity.

So, I'm reading Tintin in Japanese, as I do, and I come across the character Captain Haddock using :

Haddock saying wa

The situation is that he is on a plane that has dropped altitude suddenly, so his ears were plugged. They just popped, and he feels スッキリ("refreshed").

For those who don't know Captain Haddock, he is a gruff old sailor, who is not at all given to feminine speech. Quite the opposite. This expression really stands out.

Also, to the best of my ability to detect it, he does not use kansai-ben, which I only mention because of the discussion of kansai-ben in the other question.

So why did the translator opt to have the Captain use to end the sentence here? Is it an ironic use of feminine speech? Does it have another use I'm not aware of?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

わ can also have a non-feminine meaning of:

軽{かる}い詠嘆{えいたん}や驚{おどろ}きなどの気持{きも}ちを表{あらわ}す。 - Expresses mild feelings of admiration, surprise, etc.

So the idea here is to express that lovely "oh!" feeling you get when your ears pop, as you can see by his smile.

I can't honestly say how prevalent this is, or if you ought to use it.

share|improve this answer

from dictionary.goo.ne.jp, but I can't find it now yes it can be used by men; how prevalent is really a rather subjective question that will vary by region and who you ask. like many expressions in foreign languages, until you've assimilated it naturally, best to avoid using it –  jmadsen Oct 14 '11 at 9:10
Also note that, if you're male, you must pronounce わ with a flat or falling accent: if you pronounce it with a rising accent, its meaning moves back into feminine territory again. –  Chris Frederick Oct 25 '11 at 16:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.