Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'll be visiting Yamagata City soon and would like to ask:

• as an armchair linguist what features of the local dialect to look out for?
  • what are some common words, phrases, pronunciation differences that I could try to effect to make a nice impression on the locals?
share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I can't help you with first-hand knowledge, but you can start by looking here. Some of the comparisons (like 「んだ」 instead of 「そうです」) seems to be part of the standard Touhoku-ben fare.

Edit

According to the Wikipedia article, there's some good variety for the expression I quoted (「んだ」) in its formal version (which is equivalent to 「そうです」). In Murayama, for instance, it would be 「んだず」,「んだべした」or「んだずにゃー」, while in Shinjou it would be 「んだじゅー」or 「んだにゃー」. I can't find many explanations in that article, but it seems like quite a variety.

share|improve this answer

Now that I'm in Yamagata City I can confirm the first localism I was taught when I asked this question was indeed "んだ" (nda). –  hippietrail Jun 9 '11 at 3:46
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.