Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example:

• 一日{いちにち} = one day (duration);
  • 一日{ついたち} = first day of the month.

First of all, are the meanings correct? Because I found contradicting answers.
I suspect the meanings are overlapping in some cases?

Then, after a quick search, I found out that okurigana is efficient to disambiguate them. Didn't the author mean furigana instead? Maybe I didn't grasp something here.

Lastly, what are the most important (to know)/most frequent homographic Kanji out there?

share|improve this question

I didn't find a tag with "homographic-kanji", I'll create a tag wiki for that. –  Alenanno Oct 11 '11 at 10:02

"duration" would be 一日中 –  Axioplase Oct 11 '11 at 10:14
Actually 一日中 means throughout the day, and 一日 can be used as a durational count. –  Flaw Oct 11 '11 at 10:32
Can someone please explain the close vote? It's not helpful to vote to close a question that actually shows a real problem, especially without giving an explanation for that close vote. In this case then, about close-vote reason that was "NARQ", I'd like to ask who voted: please, stand up and explain why my question would be "ambiguous, vague, incomplete, or rhetorical" and why it can't be "reasonably answered in its current form." Thank you –  Alenanno Oct 12 '11 at 15:48
@Alenanno: I voted NARQ. You'll notice I tried to answer (even before voting). Trying to answer convinced me the question, as is, wasn't proper. And it's also one single vote; you don't have to take that badly. As far as I know, the question is still open, as the community decided… –  Axioplase Oct 13 '11 at 5:27
show 6 more comments

1 Answer

First of all, are the meanings correct?

Yes, you are right.

Then, after a quick search, I found out that okurigana is efficient to disambiguate them. Didn't the author mean furigana instead?

Yes, he's wrong.

Lastly, what are the most important (to know)/most frequent homographic Kanji out there?

Err, all the X中, where 中 is read ちゅう or じゅう.
And also 今日 こんにち(today, nowadays, or in "こんにちは")/きょう(today), or 明日 あす/あした/みょうにち、 昨日 さくじつ/きのう 今年 こんねん/ことし… Basically, the "on.yomi" is more formal than the other readings.

I have no idea how to rank anything (which I can't even remember) by importance… I'd like to say that there aren't that many, and that answering would be vain, barely a useful information (if you ignore proper nouns…)

share|improve this answer

Your answer is good enough, but about the examples... I was not really requiring a "rank" type of list... Just a small list, or some examples, about some expressions that have the same issues. Something on the lines of "These are the most known exceptions" for grammar. :) And 今日 is also read こんにち? I thought it only was きょう... –  Alenanno Oct 13 '11 at 10:18

Yes, "こんにち" means "nowadays". –  Axioplase Oct 13 '11 at 10:39

Great! So きょう means "today" and こんにち means "nowadays"? If you organize that part of the answer to highlight these differences, it'd be wonderful! I was looking for something like that. :) –  Alenanno Oct 13 '11 at 10:43
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.