Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this sentence:

ゆうむら家の3人は、半年前にこの家を購入し、転居してきた。

この家を is pronounced as "kono yo" as opposed to "kono ie o".

And this phrase

あんたは一人でこの家から学校に通っている。

この家 is pronounced as "kono ye" as opposed to "kono ie".

So my question is, is this normal pronounciation for 家 when Japanese people talk normally/colloquially?

Note: sentence from Noir the anime, Episode 1.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I do not know the anime, but 家を is never read as “yo,” and Japanese does not have “ye” sound at all. What you heard as “yo” is probably “ie o” and what you heard as “ye” is probably “ie,” both just spoken fast.

share|improve this answer

Well, I know it's not read as "yo" but the anime pronounced it as "yo". That's why I was wondering if those pronounciations were normal in everyday japanese speaking. –  dotnetN00b Oct 9 '11 at 3:51
Just to add. From a linguistic point of view, the high vowels [i] and [u] are respectively close to the glides [y] and [w]. So it is likely that they are misheard. And, dotnetNoob, are you particularly trained in phonology? (You don't seem to be a Japanese native either.) If not, please don't be too confident about your hearing. –  sawa Oct 9 '11 at 3:53
@sawa: though I appreciate the first half of your (first) answer, the second half (of your first answer) seemed unnecessary and condescending. Given the forum that I'm in, the specific question that I asked, and my tags are: pronounciation and learning", your question and following statement comes off as an attack than as an answer. –  dotnetN00b Oct 9 '11 at 4:22
@sawa: I know my hearing isn't perfect. That's why I asked :) –  dotnetN00b Oct 9 '11 at 4:44
@sawa, while phonology training would probably help, a native speaker will always hear allophones the "right" way, however they are pronounced. Someone could say /konjea:/ and people would still swear they heard このいえは. –  jbcreix Oct 10 '11 at 9:25
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.