Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Ok. The whole sentence is:

Person A bandages Person B's arm.

Person B says: ありがとう。ずいぶん慣れた処置ね?看護婦でもやってたの?

I get what the sentences are saying.

But! For the life of me I can't parse ずいぶん慣れた処置ね? into that makes any sense to me. All I can come up with is: "You do very accustomed treatments." Which I know barely makes any sense (grammatical or otherwise).

Can someone please break this down for me?

share|improve this question
“I get what the sentences are saying.” Probably not. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 6 '11 at 18:13
The subtitle says that ずいぶん慣れた処置ね? means: You're very experienced at this, huh? But grammatically getting from the japanese sentence to the english translation is what is giving me problems. –  dotnetN00b Oct 6 '11 at 18:21
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

ずいぶん 'very' is an adverb and an intensifier modifying 慣れた 'became accustomed'. ずいぶん慣れた is a relative clause modifying 処置 'treatment'. ずいぶん慣れた処置 is a nominal predicate. Here, its subject is omitted. The copula is optionally omitted before certain elements including the sentence-final particle . To reconstruct what is omitted, it would be like this:

(あなたの処置は)ずいぶん慣れた処置(だ)ね。
'(Your treatment) (is) a very accustomed treatment, isn't it?'

share|improve this answer

Ok. I think I got it. How's this: (You are) very experienced with treatment?" –  dotnetN00b Oct 6 '11 at 19:20

What the heck??? –  istrasci Jan 27 '12 at 0:19

What is your motivation for deleting the answer? –  Flaw Jan 27 '12 at 0:39

Please see: meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/603/… –  Dave M G Jan 27 '12 at 3:40

@sawa: please refrain from these (recurrent) post-deletion tantrums. If there is an issue to sort out, feel free to contact an admin... –  Dave Jan 27 '12 at 12:40
add comment

慣れる can also mean "become skilled at", so it's more like "You've become quite skilled at this treatment. Were you a nurse or something?" More literally, it would be like "This is a treatment at which you've become quite skilled." There is a です that's omitted before ね?; if this wasn't obvious to you, that may be the reason you had trouble with it. So there's no "do" in it as you were thinking. It's an "is".

Would "experienced with" also be a good/decent translation of nareru? –  dotnetN00b Oct 6 '11 at 18:29

I would say so. –  istrasci Oct 6 '11 at 19:41
add comment

I don't have much to add to the already posted answers, except you might be interested in knowing that omitting the だ before ね is mostly female language, and would rarely be used by males.

Of course, this distinction only applies after nouns and na-adjective stems, since verbs and i-adjectives don't have a だ to begin with.

Another sentence ender that this phenomenon occurs for is よ:

好きよ! I like/love you! (mainly female)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.