Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Taking yadokari's sentence:

彼女は表情が生き生きとしておりとてもかわいい。

The part that I need help understanding is the relation of 生き生きとして with 表情 and 居る.

Looking up the dictionary entry for 生き生き, it is "an adverb taking the particle"

(Question 1) Does the adverb modify して? Or is 生き生きとして treated as an adverb as a whole?

EDIT: What is the difference between 1. 生き生きとする and 2. 生き生きとして居る?

(Question 2) Is 2. the ~ている construction of 1.? And what is its significance when used with an adverb? English parsing would be greatly appreciated.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

「生き生きと」 is the adverb. 「して」 is the ~て form of 「する」.

"vividly do"

Of course, you need the 連用形 that follows in order to translate it completely, as is given in your other question.

EDIT:

Yes.

居る いる
(v1,vi,uk,aux-v) to be (of animate objects); to exist; to stay; (after the -te form of a verb) verb indicating continuing action or state (i.e. to be ..ing, to have been ..ing); (P)

Same as without the adverb. Only with the adverb instead.

"be vividly doing"

share|improve this answer

how do you parse "facial expression that is vividly doing"? My gut feeling says it's not the progressive aspect but the stative aspect. –  Flaw Sep 30 '11 at 6:14

You can't, which is why you can't translate literally. "vivid facial expression" –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 30 '11 at 6:18

Is it the same use of ~している in "私は長い足をしている" (I have long legs)? Then "彼女は表情が生き生きとしている" would be "She has vivid facial expressions". –  Flaw Sep 30 '11 at 6:47

Sure, but instead of modifying 「している」 by <noun>+を, you're modifying it by an adverb. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Sep 30 '11 at 6:49
@Flaw: I think the thing you're up against here is that する isn't always "do". It's also a state. For example, you can say 匂いする, which you could in a way, translate as "doing a smell", but in English we would just say "smelling". Likewise, here you have "doing a vivid expression", which in English we would say more like "expressing vividly". Personally, I'd go with "vivacious expression". –  Dave M G Sep 30 '11 at 10:15
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.