Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

あなたの私生活についてとやかく言うつもりはありません。

I don't give a damn about your personal life.

I have also seen についてとやかく言う translated as "quibble over". Could another translation of this sentence be:

I really don't want to bicker about your private life.

Is についてとやかく言う normally understood as metaphorical rather than literally "bicker" or "quibble over"? There was no other context for this quote, so I am also wondering if とやかく is that harsh of an interjection.

share|improve this question
I'm not sure "give a damn" and "ありません" share the same politeness level, however harsh it may be… –  Axioplase Sep 29 '11 at 1:10

the first translation was the one supplied by ALC, and I agree that the "damn" mixed with "ありません" sounded a little off. –  yadokari Sep 29 '11 at 2:32

I think this gets back into the "does Japanese really have curse words" debate... –  Karl Knechtel Sep 30 '11 at 10:02
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Translations depend on context. You can translate literally, use metaphors, ...etc, but it all depends on context and, especially in Japanese, the relation between the 2 interlocutors (level of speech used)

Usually you take the literal translation to get the general meaning:

I have no plan to complain about your private life. (とやかく meaning "this and that, all kind of things" here)

Then depending on the context, interlocutors, and situation you can find synonyms for "complain" like "quibble over", why not. It also depends on who you aim at with your translation.

The use of the ます/ません form in some cases can be sarcastic so there's nothing wrong using "give a damn" in English. (although there's あなた at the beginning, so this is less likely)

Tangorin gives these example sentences:

• 私個人の生活についてとやかくうるさくいうのはやめてください。

Get off my back about my personal life!

• 細かいことでとやかく言うのはよそう。

Let's not quibble over trivial matters.

• 彼女は私が遅く帰って来たことにとやかくいった。

She went on at me for coming home late.

NOTE: I realize you say there was no context with the sentence. I personally think this is not a harsh expression and shouldn't be translated as "give a damn" or "get off my back" unless the level of speech is lowered considerably. (あんた、おまえ、つもりない...etc.)

とやかく言う is a metaphor.

とやかく which original characters are 兎や角 shares the same etymology with とにかく and ともかく that you may have heard more often. (note that 兎耳 {うさぎみみ} is a gossiper (or someone with long ears) )

Etymology:

According to the following 2 links

http://gogen-allguide.com/to/tonikaku.html

http://gogen-allguide.com/to/tokaku.html

とにかくの「と」は「そのように」、「かく」は「このように」で、いずれも副詞。

Both と and かく are adverbs that can be written using 兎角 or 左右 independently from the meaning of the characters. (ateji)

wrong theory

I think the etymology of 兎や角 (and derivatives) comes from the Chinese expression:

龟毛兔角 = Turtles with hair and rabbits with horns = Things that don't exist, impossible

By stretching things a little, 兎や角言う could literally mean:

"talking about rabbits and horns" => gossip, fantasizing, making things up

share|improve this answer

thank you very much. –  yadokari Oct 25 '11 at 19:48

とかく and its relatives (including とやかく) do not seem to originate from the Chinese word 兔角. Please read gogen-allguide.com/to/tokaku.html. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 3 '11 at 16:46

@TsuyoshiIto: I see. Since they give no other reference than plain refutal I was very skeptical at first but I followed another link gogen-allguide.com/to/tonikaku.html that gives better arguments. –  龚元程 Nov 4 '11 at 0:54

No, no, you have some fundamental misunderstanding about what “ateji” means. Ateji is a kanji notation which was assigned to a word independently of the meaning of the kanji characters. The adverb とかく is simply a combination of two adverbs and かく, and neither 左右 nor 兎角 has anything to do with the etymology of the adverb とかく. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 4 '11 at 1:50

oh I see! So the assignment of either kanji is arbitrary? –  龚元程 Nov 4 '11 at 8:36
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.