Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can it cover an entire month? Two?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Completely context-dependent. Try googling "最近の年号" — in this phrase, 最近 goes back a century or more.

share|improve this answer
add comment

People might complain that this answer is offensive, but I feel English-centrism or bias in this question. Have you ever thought of the following questions?: How long of a time period does recent cover? What is the threshold of length that divides things being referred to as this or as that?

I don't think there's anything wrong with this answer. It's eye opening. –  Louis Sep 28 '11 at 13:40
I don't see the English bias, is it because the question was asked in English? What if we were to ask the question in Japanese, like this guy: detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1117338791 There are countless others to be found on Google too. –  phirru Sep 28 '11 at 14:03
Thanks to Louis for understanding the nuance. Phirru, it is not because it is asked in English; it is because it is asking things about Japanese whose English counterpart the OP would prorably not have asked. –  sawa Sep 28 '11 at 15:01
That's because the OP already knows how to use the English words. It's easy to imagine someone who's not a native speaker of English asking those questions. For any given word or phrase, "It means exactly the same thing as [some english word] and you can use it whenever you would have used that word in English" isn't necessarily true (speaking of english-centric ways of thinking), and it isn't a priori obvious even if it is true. Just because native speakers of a language don't think of some aspect of meaning in explicit terms doesn't mean it's not a legitimate thing to ask or describe. –  Random832 Sep 28 '11 at 15:07
I'm guessing that it's because the word "bias" seems to contain a negative accusatory connotation when directed towards a person. But if we all read it as a statistical deviation then there's nothing inherently offensive in using the word "bias" to describe such a situation. As in "I'm less likely to ask this question with regard to the English language than compared to a foreign language." Which is in summary a "bias". But not used in an offensive sense. "Bias" here is not a common term to all parties. Some understand it with a negative connotation, and some see nothing inherently wrong. –  Flaw Sep 28 '11 at 15:33
show 6 more comments

Yes it can cover an entire month. And yes, it can even cover two.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.