Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This book (Chap. 29) says that for some verbs which can be unilateral or bilateral (like 相談する, 話す, 合う),

The particle implies that the verb is shared 50/50 between the two participants (bilateral), whereas the particle implies that the main (or only) person doing the action is the subject (unilateral):

enter image description here

For example:

ジョンがトムに話した。 (John talked to Tom)

ジョンがトムと話した。 (John talked with Tom)

ジョンがトムに相談した。 (John consulted Tom)

ジョンがトムと相談した。 (John consulted with Tom)

I was wondering since ジョンがトムと話した。 already implies that it is a bilateral action, what is the difference in nuance between ジョンがトムと話した。 and ジョンがトムと話し合った。?

share|improve this question

ジョンがトムと相談した and ジョンがトムに喧嘩した are ungrammatical. –  sawa Sep 27 '11 at 15:07

@sawa hmm weird I didn't invent the と相談する example. I got it from amazon.com/Making-Sense-Japanese-Grammar-Paper/dp/0824825837 –  Pacerier Sep 27 '11 at 16:09

The question is about 話し合った, so why do you list a bunch of examples that have nothing to do with the question? I mean, I eventually see where you're going with it, but it's a very roundabout way to do it, and confusing as you're reading through the question. –  istrasci Sep 27 '11 at 16:53

@istrasci ok I've done some touchup, is the question still confusing? –  Pacerier Sep 27 '11 at 18:44

Yeah, a lot better. –  istrasci Sep 27 '11 at 19:39

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

A が B に ... means A did something to B (asymmetrically). The verb must be something that one does to another:

ジョンがトムに相談した。
 'John asked Tom for suggestion.'
× ジョンがトムに喧嘩した。
 'John fought (to) Tom.'
 ジョンがトムに話しかけた。
 'John talked to Tom.'
× ジョンがトムに話し合った。
 'John conversed (to) Tom.'

A と B が ... or A が B と ... means A and B did something with each other (symmetrically). The verb must be something that a group of people do with one another.

× ジョンがトムと相談した。
 'John asked with Tom for suggestion.'
 ジョンがトムと喧嘩した。
 'John fought with Tom.'
× ジョンがトムと話しかけた。
 'John talked to with Tom.'
 ジョンがトムと話し合った。
 'John conversed with Tom.'

話す as well as talk has two meanings. One includes the meaning of 'start', and the other does not. The former is asymmetric and the latter is not. That is why both forms can be used.

ジョンがトムに話した。
 'John talked to Tom.'
 ジョンがトムと話した。
 'John talked with Tom.'

share|improve this answer

The x besides the sentence demarks an incorrect sentence? –  yadokari Sep 27 '11 at 18:12

@sawa what's the difference between using 「と話し合った」 and using 「と話した」 ? –  Pacerier Sep 27 '11 at 18:43

@Pacerier 合う when used in compound verb means 'mutally'. かける means 'start' or 'attempt'. –  sawa Sep 28 '11 at 3:57
@sawa hey thanks but I'm still quite confused about the difference. Isn't 「ジョンがトムと話した」 also a mutual action? –  Pacerier Sep 28 '11 at 14:25

@Pacerier 話した is ambiguous between mutual action and one-way action. Adding 合う disambiguates it so that the one-way meaning will not be allowed any more. –  sawa Sep 28 '11 at 15:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.