Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

屋敷を一回りしただけで設計図を思い描き、本来なければおかしい部屋がない事を指摘する。

What does the last sentence mean?

Just by going around the mansion once he was able to drew a blueprint, If it were not normal it points out the fact that there are no strange rooms?

本来ならば=Normally
本来なければ=Not normally ?

I am really not understanding that.
Thank you

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

You would parse it as:

[(本来、なければおかしい)部屋がない]事を指摘する。

本来なければおかしい is a relative clause modifying the 部屋.

なければおかしい部屋 means なければならない部屋 / あるはずの部屋 / あるべき部屋, "a room which should exist," "a room which should be there."

So your sentence would be like:

(lit.) He points out that [a room (which naturally should exist) doesn't exist].
He points out that [a room (which naturally there should be) isn't there].
He points out that [a room (which originally should be there) is missing].

share|improve this answer

It seems you got a few things mixed up. Allow me to show you how I parse it.

・なければおかしい is a clause modifying 部屋

[なければおかしい]部屋 ⇒ a room [that it would be strange if it didn't exist]

・本来なければ is not the negative version of 本来ならば (It never is!)

本来 here is an adverb that modifies (or is part of?) the relative clause.

[本来なければおかしい]部屋 ⇒ a room [that, normally, it would be strange if it didn't exist]

So, 本来なければおかしい部屋 is a noun phrase, acting as the subject of the clause 本来なければおかしい部屋 + が + ない (a room doesn't exist that, normally, it would be strange if it didn't exist).

Lastly, 本来なければおかしい部屋がない事を指摘する I'd translate as:

(...) points out the fact that a room is missing that naturally has to be there.

or something along those lines.

I agree with the O.P.'s take of the first half of the Japanese text - Just by going around the mansion once he was able to draw a blueprint, but I take the latter part of it as;

“and pointed out that there is not the room that (originally) should be there (as he envisaged in his blue print).”

本来なければおかしい means "Originally, it should be there / It’s unnatural to be lacking in it.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.