So I need to write an email for an assignment where I am an exchange student who is going to Japan and staying at someone's house for a period of time.

I want to begin with "thank you very much for having me" which would normally be お邪魔します as watching Japanese shows with subtitles have taught me. But I feel like お邪魔します feels more like a short-time thing like "sorry for the (temporary) intrusion" as opposed to something along the lines of what I want to say.

What would be more correct in the context that I am writing in?

• お邪魔します would be appropriate for the moment of entering into the host family's house, regardless it's a short stay or a long term.
    – nodakai
    Mar 19, 2016 at 18:10

1 Answer 1

I think お邪魔します is used in cases of short-term stay as you said. 

I think お世話になります is natural in cases of long-term stay.

• Would it be correct to say お世話になることを感謝しています?
    – Spica
    Mar 19, 2016 at 10:03
  • It's effusive. お世話になります。よろしくお願いします。 is better. Mar 19, 2016 at 10:08
  • In my desperate attempt to use some grammar structures... would お世話になるので、感謝しています be okay or is it also iffy?
    – Spica
    Mar 19, 2016 at 10:12
    お世話になる include already showing your appreciation, so I hear rarely お世話になるので、感謝しています but if you use them, your appreciation will get through them. Mar 19, 2016 at 10:23
    @Spica 感謝しています almost sounds like someone saved you from a fire or bankruptcy. Perhaps it is more common in business scenes where exaggeration is ubiquitous.
    – nodakai
    Mar 19, 2016 at 18:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .