Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The context is simple, in a speech, I am talking about how I grew up with Japan on my mind.

I am familiar with について and と思います, yet i am not entirely sure about the usage here. In English, I'd say the following:

I grew up

I am thinking about Japan

The Japanese translation of the two would be:

私は育ちました

私は日本のことを思っています

Correct? Now what grammar is used to connect the two?

share|improve this question
Could you maybe give a complete sentence meaning "I grew up thinking about X" using について and/or と思います? – Earthliŋ Mar 12 at 10:29

@Earthliŋ I think he meant that he is aware of those two expressions but he isn't sure about using them in a sentence. – strawberry jam Mar 12 at 10:31

@strawberryjam Oh, I thought she meant that she can use those two expressions, but is not sure they are fit for this particular context... – Earthliŋ Mar 12 at 10:34

@Earthliŋ strawberryjam is correct here. I am aware of the two expressions but do not know how to use them in this situation, if these are the correct ones to use at all – kijo Mar 12 at 10:35
@AmaniKilumanga I have edited my description to what I think is clearer now. I do know how to say the two sentences by their own, yet not when put together in a single sentence. – kijo Mar 12 at 11:24
up vote 7 down vote accepted

If you connect the two sentence like 私は育ちました and 私は日本のことを思っています, you can say 私は日本のことを(いつも or 常に)思いながら育ちました.

You can use "~ながら", it means "with" and "while".

share|improve this answer

You really saved my skin, thank you greatly! – kijo Mar 12 at 12:32

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.